GynecomastiaWrite a comment
What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia – this is a condition when breast in a man is enlarged (by 1-10 cm) and resembles a female one. . This problem causes psychological discomfort in man and causes complexes. Gynecomastia can be true when mammal glands are enlarged and false when depositions of fatty tissue take place. Regretfully, this is a very common disease in Ukraine and I have to do surgery for reduction of breast in men more and more often.
Reasons of the disease
There are a lot of reasons of onset of gynecomastia and they can be divided into:
- objective (genetic predisposition with a disturbance of hormonal profile, other endocrinous diseases).
- subjective ones. We can see the results of them most often (high consumption of calories with very low physical activity as well as regular consumption of soft alcoholic beverages such as beer which contribute to enlargement of a share of female sexual hormones and reduction of the share of male ones).
Regretfully, there are a very low percentage of men in Ukraine engaged in sports and physical culture as well as watching their diet compared to most of European countries (especially compared to Scandinavian countries).
However, the secret is basic: physical exercise contributes to both utilization of excessive calories and production of male sexual hormone testosterone which is substantially missing in tissues of many men.
Indications to surgical removal of gynecomastia
True gynecomastia in newborns and adolescents as a rule is a temporary phenomenon and requires no treatment. However of it does not disappear in adolescents by the end of puberty, treatment with hormonal drags is prescribed.
Surgical operation for removal of gynecomastia can only be done to adults.
Also men at the age from 35 are in the risk group.
It is necessary to receive consultation from endocrinologist in order to detect reasons of gynecomastia and have the course of treatment prescribed. It is also recommend doing mammography or radiological examination of chest to exclude presence of neoplasms and assess condition of tissues of mammal glands. Depending on results of examination, medicinal treatment or surgical intervention can be prescribed:
- liposuction to remove fatty deposition in breast
- mastectomy (in other words “removal of gynecomastia”) – removal of glandiform tissue of breast.
These operations can be carried out at the same time.
Contraindications to surgical operation:
- Disorder of blood coagulation
- The period of exacerbationof chronic diseases
- Acute infections
- Diseases of internal organs with disturbance of normal functioning
- Oncological diseases
- Diabetes mellitus (decompensated)
How does surgical operation take place
Surgical operation for reduction of breast in gynecomastia consists of removal of excessive glandiform and/or fatty tissues in the area of breast. Excessive skin can also be dissected if necessary with preservation of nipple and areola.
As a rule, liposuction of breast is sufficient and mastectomy is needed in very extreme cases.
Duration of operation: 30 -45 minutes
Sutures: absent (in case of liposuction).
Discomfort and pain sensations are practically excluded after surgical operation for removal of gynecomastia. If necessary, a surgeon can prescribe analgesic drugs for you.
Compression garments (orelastic dressing): wearing within 2 weeks
Bruises and edema: disappear within up to 1 month
When is it possible to go to work: in 1 day after the operation
Physical loads: not until after 7 days
Male Breast Reduction Cost
|Liposuction for Gynecomastia||1 500 euro|